The history of Centennial United Methodist Church dates as far back as 1790. For a while the African American congregation held separate services at the Asbury United Methodist Church. The number of members increased to the point where they organized into a Methodist Society and held church service in their homes. By 1875, these members had become part of the Smyrna Charge which included four churches.
In 1876 the congregation of 64 members worked diligently to erect the first Centennial Methodist Church. In spite of the many financial struggles, the church survived and continued to grow. It was then placed in a Charge with Cheswold, Delaware until Centennial made the decision to acquire its own pastor. In 1968, Centennial became part of the Peninsula –Delaware Conference and was placed on a Charge with Asbury United Methodist Church in Smyrna. Eventually, Centennial was placed on an individual Charge.
In 1996, the original building was destroyed by fire and services were held at Asbury United Methodist Church for four years. Centennial was able to begin worshipping in the new church building (featured on our home page) on December 21, 2000.